Wednesday, March 9, 2022

WISDOM WEDNESDAY 

Vol. 1 Issue 3 - 3-9-22

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 

- II Peter 3:18

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings Church,

This evening the Finance Committee worked on the budget for 2022-2023 and did so with great joy and thanksgiving. With joy because we were able to complete the task in a faithful concise manner. With thanksgiving because of the faithfulness of those gathered at WCC to give freely and consistently. Over the last 20 years the Lord has provided for all our needs for ministry perfectly every year. He has given us hearts to grow in our giving and hearts to serve with our giving. In my experience as a pastor the finances of a local church are a direct correlation to its spiritual maturity. Faithful giving comes from hearts that are faithful to the Lord. For this I am truly blessed to be the pastor of this church, that I am able to witness your commitment to Christ to give and to serve.

I am reminded of Paul's thoughts in Philippians 4 as he reflects upon the revived concern the Philippian believers have for his ongoing ministry. He expresses his thanksgiving when he says, "I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me."(Philippians 4:10)

Their concern has been revived for him and he does not thank them but thanks the Lord for them. This is a valuable lesson to keep in mind so that we do not celebrate the flesh but celebrate the provider, namely the Lord. Paul consistently points to the Lord as the one to give thanks to and to give thanks for those He provides. Paul goes on, "You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity."(Philippians 4:10b). He acknowledges their concern and it is precious to him even though they did not have an opportunity to show it. He is grateful for that concern.

Paul wishes to clarify his position so that they do not misunderstand what he has just said. He doesn't want them to think he is ungrateful. Listen to his heart, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."(Philippians 4:11-12) Do you hear that? He has learned to be content regardless of the circumstances. He didn't just wake up one day and understand this but he learned it through life experience. Through being brought low, how to abound, facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. We can learn much just from listening to Paul's own personal growth.

Yet, we must also understand that this learning is not in his own wisdom or power. He makes a bold claim with these words that give power to his contentment, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) Jesus, the Lord gives him the strength needed to be content in abundance and in need. This is not a victory statement that suggests we only get the strength when we win but that we get the strength needed always for whatever circumstance we find ourselves in. As I noted last week we often falsely believe that we deserve to be free from suffering, we do the same thing concerning strength. We think with Jesus in our corner or in our pocket we cannot fail. Though true to some extent, we can find ourselves worshiping the thought rather than the one who is the thought. Jesus is the one who gives Paul the strength to be content.

As we grow in Christ, we should be putting childish things away. We should be able to firmly rest upon the promises of God and realize all things are to be done for His glory. I'm reminded of the prayer I prayed with Owen's doctor the night he came to us to tell us he had never had such a sick little boy before. The doctor feared for Owen's life. I prayed that whether God took him or saved him, God would get the glory. How did I come to that thought? I had learned to be content in my relationship with the Father through the Son. The Holy Spirit guided my thoughts, my tongue to pray for the glory of God. May we find our contentment fully in Christ and Christ alone.

Blessings,

PBS

No comments:

Post a Comment