Wednesday, May 11, 2022

 

WISDOM WEDNESDAY

Vol. 1 Issue 12 - 5-11-22

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

- II Peter 3:18

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings Church,

As Christians we often find ourselves putting expectations upon ourselves that we misunderstand. One of those expectations is that those who are in Christ are to be fearless. That following Christ makes us invincible and thus we are to be victorious daily in our walk with Him. Most of this expectation is true when it deals with the promised eternal state that we are to live out today. But we must find the solution to our fear in the daily abiding in Christ. Without Him it is impossible to be fearless.

Yet, when we properly understand this truth we must come to realize that fear is part of our existence in a fallen world. The key to responding to our fears does not come from within us as if we have the power to do so but comes from our dependence upon the Lord. In Psalm 56:3,4 we read, "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?" Please notice the first reality and that is fear comes upon us. The psalmist says, "when I am afraid". Fear here deals with the stresses and fears of this life. It is not the reverent awe we are to have before a Holy God. Fear is an emotion that stirs us, that causes us to act in response to a proper understanding of what is feared. We must not think that fear is something a Christian should never have.

The reason we have fear as an emotion we all have and often deal with, is that it causes us to run. The question then is where do we run to or who do we run to. The psalmist again gives us insight into that, as he states, "when I am afraid, I put my trust in you." Fear moves us to seek out the Lord for His grace and protection. His desire is for us to run to Him when we are afraid. Trusting in the Lord is the significant fear catcher. He longs with open arms to receive us when afraid, just like when we were children and we ran into our father or mother's arms when afraid. Trusting in the Lord is not only to be done when afraid but something we are to do always. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." (Proverbs 3:5,6) Here again the realization for our hearts is that we sometimes choose our own ways and we need to strive to trust Him for His ways. This should be an ever growing trust in Him.

How do we come to this understanding of fear before a Holy God? We do so by being in the Word that is "living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12) The psalmist says, "In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid." The Word reveals the promises of God. The Word is to be praised not as if we put it on a pedestal but that we spend time in it and hide it in our hearts. We cannot give praise to something we do not know. "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word....I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:9,11) As we are in the Word we realize that when we are afraid we trust in the One who has revealed His promises that we have kept in our hearts. Therefore, run to Him, run to His Word, hide it in your hearts, let it bring the purity needed to trust in Him.

The last phrase in verse four brings the issue of fear to a conclusion. It references the life we live in the flesh. A life that needs redemption. A life that is born again through faith in Jesus Christ. The question is asked, "What can flesh do to me?" I like how this is translated as it helps us understand that fear can come from without and from within. Flesh then represents not just another human being that is causing the fear but also our own selves can be causing the fear. In either case fear attempts to draw us away from God. But trusting God with our fear brings the flesh into proper focus. What can it do to me? If our fear is given to the Lord by trusting in His promises revealed then the flesh can do nothing to us whether it is from without or within.

We all face fears and trials of many kinds, yet we have a solution to them all. "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?" (Psalm 56:3,4)

Let us trust in Him!!!

Blessings,

PBS

No comments:

Post a Comment